Health is wellness of the body, the mind, and the soul; their alignment with one another is the art of living well.
Wisdom is understanding of the self, others, and the nature of things; it is essential to living as if everything is a miracle.
Healthy Immune System Drink
Burdock and Daikon Drink
Burdock root has been used as both food and medicine in Asia and Europe for thousands of years. Recently, it has been used as a nourishing tonic for cancer, liver disease, and rheumatism. Burdock root is a staple diet of the Japanese, who are among the people with the longest lifespan in the world.
Fresh burdock root is available at many greengrocers, Asian markets, and natural food stores in the United States.
Daikon is Japanese radish. Its phytochemicals have recognized healing and anti-carcinogenic properties:
(1) It cleanses the blood (the kidneys).
(2) It promotes energy circulation.
(3) It increases the metabolic rate (a weight loss remedy in Asia).
(4) It treats hangovers.
(5) It decongests the lungs, clears sore throat, colds, and edema.
The burdock and daikon drink can be taken any time, and as much as you like.
(1) One burdock root (about 24 inches long)
(2) One daikon with green tops
(3) One small carrot with green tops
(1) Cut all ingredients into small pieces.
(2) Place them in a pot with water double the volume of the ingredients.
(3) Bring to a boil.
(4) Pour out the content, and drink it.
You can repeat the process one more time. This time, after bringing it to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer it for another 20 minutes. Let the ingredients steep in the hot water for another 20 minutes before drinking it.
Copyrightę by Stephen Lau