Health is wellness of the body, the mind, and the soul; their alignment with one another is the art of living well.
Wisdom is understanding of the self, others, and the nature of things; it is essential to living as if everything is a miracle.
How You Make Your Healthy Saliva
Saliva is a clear, watery fluid made by the body's salivary glands located inside each cheek at the bottom of the mouth and ears, as well as near the front teeth by the jawbone.
Saliva plays a pivotal part in human health -- it is a miracle of recovery and rejuvenation.
According to Eastern medicine, human saliva has miraculous healing power, Research in a recent Japanese study indicated that saliva can fight cancer cells in rats and other animals.
For thousands of years, Chinese physicians have believed that saliva has all the ingredients for optimizing longevity and overall wellness due to its inherent benefits on the five human organs: the heart, liver, spleen, lungs, and kidneys. Saliva is anti-aging because it promotes cell growth and cell division -- a key factor in internal nourishment and rejuvenation, without which the aging process accelerates. In addition, saliva strengthens bones ad teeth, cleanses and detoxifies the body, aids digestion of food and assimilation of nutrients. Ancient Chinese physicians even used the sufficiency or insufficiency of saliva as part of their disease diagnosis.
Saliva is a miracle in itself because it is your body's built-in self-made fluid for self-defense against viruses and infections. Harness the power of that miracle to your advantage, and this is how:
(1) On waking up each morning, stand erect.
(2) Gently exhale through the mouth three times to rid your body of toxins accumulated during your sleep.
(3) Close your mouth, and begin hitting your teeth for 30 seconds as if you were chewing food in your mouth.
(4) Then, slowly massage your teeth with your tongue for 30 seconds.
(5) By then, your mouth should have generated some saliva. Do not swallow it immediately. Close your eyes, and visualize that your are swallowing the saliva and it is slowly dripping down to the dan tian, which is the "energy center" of your body. Dan tian is located in the lower abdomen between the navel and the pubic bone. Physically, it corresponds to the functions of digestion, elimination, and reproduction. Psychologically, it functions by promoting a sense of physical balance and stability. Dan tian is also a source of power for physical energy, sexual vitality, and inner power as emphasized by the Chinese Qi Gong exercise.
(6) After the mental visualization, then slowly swallow the saliva.
(7) Repeat this on waking up and before going to bed.
Do not undermine the miracle of saliva. In addition to the above daily practice, make your own saliva as much as and as often as you can during the day. You can always increase your saliva by thoroughly chewing your food before swallowing ; it is also good practice to let your food remain in your mouth for a little longer, say, a few seconds, after chewing before swallowing it (this also applies to drinking liquid). Induce your mouth to make more saliva. Make the most out of the miracle of saliva.
Copyrightę by Stephen Lau